We are all more and more careful about exposure to the sun, but have we not exaggerated?
In recent years it seems that lack of sun exposure is often more severe! It turns out that most of the population even in sunny Israel has a shortage of vitamin D, which is formed in the skin after exposure to direct sun.
Good concentrations of vitamin D in the body were found to reduce by 40% the chance of contracting the flu, and a 60% reduction in the incidence of several common cancers. (2.1, 3)
Despite the publication linking sun exposure and skin cancer. It was found that proper exposure to the sun reduces the risk of skin cancer.
In fact, skin cancer is much more common among people working in closed rooms than among people who work outside and are exposed to the sun (2, 4(
UV radiation is made up of two types: UVA and UVB. Both types of radiation cause tanning, UVB radiation is absorbed into the upper layer of the skin and causes rapid tanning and vitamin D production, while UVA penetrates deeply and causes long-term damage to the skin without vitamin D. The office is exposed mainly to UVA radiation without the UVB radiation and does not usually penetrate through the windows.
The anti-cancer effect of vitamin D includes (1)
Vitamin D is a steroidal vitamin that affects every cell in the body and is one of the strongest natural fighters against cancer. Increases the rate of destruction of mutated cells (cells that later develop into tumors) and reduces the proliferation and rate of proliferation of tumor cells.
Delays in the development of new blood lines from the existing blood stream (required for the tumors to develop). Normal concentrations of vitamin D have been found in thousands of studies that can reduce the risk of contracting dozens of cancers! In Canada it is recommended as a cancer treatment.
So what do you do about vitamin D?
"Sun bath", exposure to the sun is important - exposure of 10-20 minutes a day to the sun at noon (where there is UVB outside) with at least the head and hands exposed (preferably as much as possible) allows the body to produce the 10,000 units of vitamin D required. Of course, do not expose yourself too much because then you might burn. It is important to take proper exposure to the sun every day and not to be exposed once a week. It is also important to know that the skin tone changes the exposure time required: the darker the skin, the longer the exposure to the sun is needed to create the required amount of vitamin D. As age increases, it will take more time to be exposed to the sun to produce the same amount of vitamin.
It should be taken into account that vitamin D remains in the skin about 48 hours after its production until it enters the bloodstream. In order for vitamin D to be created and remain active, the skin should be covered with its natural fat, so it is important to avoid aggressive soaps that dry the skin and exposure to chlorinated pools to prevent the destruction of vitamin D before it enters the blood.
Vitamin D supplements can be taken instead of being exposed to the sun, but they are less effective in terms of absorption and reaching each cell in the body because they are different from the natural vitamin D.
All that is written on the site is based on the opinion of the writers and their best experience and is not a substitute for a medical opinion.
1. Increase in melanoma not because sun exposure - Dr. Mercola
2. Inexpensive trick to cure a cold - Dr. Mercola
3. Can vitamin D cure the cold- Dr. Mercola
4. To be or not to be exposed to direct sun - PUBMED
5. Vitamin D - amount of sun exposure required - healing naturally